How to install formed and injection molded plastic letters with a combo mount.
Used on Flat or uneven mounting surface. Stud through pad on top mounts and pad only on bottom mounts.
Tools Required: Mounting Pattern, level, drill, drill bit, tape measure, cleaning cloth, masking tape, adhesive.
Combo mounting combines the stud through pad adjustable mount on the tops of letters with fixed pads on the bottom half of the letters. This is a good mount for when you want the security of the mounts to be embedded "in the wall" but do not want to drill holes for every stud. The fixed bottom pad mounts can be glued to the wall while the adjustable top mounts will firmly anchor the letter in the wall and even provide adjustability for lap siding and such. This mount is also used on flat surfaces to provide minimal drilling.
1. POSITION and Secure Mounting Pattern
- Clean mounting surface before installing letters.
- Set Pattern: Level and align mounting pattern on mounting surface. Securely tape flat to surface & perform a final spelling and spacing check.
- Mark Holes: Use a center punch or sharpie to mark through all drill holes onto wall.
- Remove: Your drilling will be more accurate if you remove pattern before drilling holes.
Tip: Brick or Block walls may require using duct tape to secure pattern.
2. DRILL Mounting Holes
- Drill & Bits: Use a drill & bit to match your mounting surface. Use a bit that is slightly larger in diameter than your studs (allow for some adjustment).
- Drill holes: Hold drill level and drill all marked holes at least 1-1/2" deep.
- Clean Holes: After holes are all drilled, clean (blow) out holes to remove all dust.
Tip: Brick or Block may require using a hammer drill & masonry drill bit.
3. DRYFIT Letters
- Insert Letters: Take letters in order of number marked on the back and press into drilled holes (do NOT apply adhesive yet and do not force studs into holes).
- Adjust: If letters do not press easily into holes, open holes (make hole larger with bit) until letters can be set straight.
4. APPLY Adhesive and set letters
- Fill holes: Using a quality adhesive, generously fill all drilled holes.
- Studs and Pads: Next apply a good coating of the same adhesive to the studs and pads of your #1 letter. Coat the pads with enough adhesive to cover all pad holes.
- Set Letters: Press studs into drilled holes until the pads touch the wall. Hold letter to wall by placing long strips of masking tape (or duct tape if necessary) on the letter face. Secure letters in numerical order, inserting until all are letters are set.
5. Apply masking tape strips and final adjust letters in holes.
- Apply strips of masking tape to hold letters in position
- Adjust & Set: Stand back and view letters at a distance. Hand adjust letters straight by loosening tape and repositioning as needed. Once letters are straight, firmly press tape back onto wall. Secure with more tape if needed. Allow adhesive to set (time may vary based on climate), then remove tape & protective masking. Clean off letter faces as needed.